new jersey probate
Home   |   NJ Probate Law   |   NJ Guardianship   |   Resources   |   Glossary   |   Attorney Biography   |   Contact      


Burlington County Location:
Pavilions at Greentree
12000 Lincoln Drive West
Suite 401
Marlton, NJ 08053

View Larger Map

Camden County Location:
111 White Horse Pike
Haddon Hts., NJ 08035

View Larger Map


Proud Member of:

Is there an alternative to Guardianship?
Can your loved one execute a Power of Attorney?

     A Judgment of Guardianship removes the right of self-determination for the incapacitated person. The right of self-determination is a fundamental right of each person in our society to make his or her own choices and contributions to society. Guardianship should be sought when there is no other alternative.

     A power of attorney is a legal document in which a person (the principal) designates and authorizes another person (the agent or attorney-in-fact) to transact business or make certain decisions on his or her behalf. When a power of attorney is in effect, the agent steps into the shoes of the principal and makes decisions that are legally binding on the principal.

     A Durable Power of Attorney is recognized in New Jersey as a document where a loved one can name a designated representative to manage your financial affairs if he or she becomes incapacitated. A Living Will (Advanced Health Care Directive) gives medical providers and others direction regarding medical treatments such as life support or feeding tubes in the event your loved one is not able to communicate directions.

     The capacity needed to execute a Power of Attorney/Living Will is known as contractual capacity. That is, your loved must, while executing the document, be able to understand the nature of the transaction and the consequences of his/her acts.

If you need an experienced probate attorney in New Jersey please contact us.



Home   |   Our Vision   |   Disclaimer   |   Sitemap

Copyright 2000/2011 by New Jersey Attorney, John F. Renner. All rights reserved. Any reproduction of all or any part of this document, without prior permission of John F. Renner, Esq. is expressly prohibited.